Meeting The Avatar of Princess Mandalika



Kuta is one of the most targeted tourism spots not only because of its turquoise water, sandy beaches and good waves for surfing, but it also has attractive and huge annual event. This event makes people stay awake all night, but I’m not one of them.

It was 5 to 5 a.m, I headed to Mandalika beach on a lift of a stranger. It took only a couple of minutes to get there since he was allowed to enter the special VIP road. It was a dark morning lucky day. I didn’t need to get stuck in the busy dizzy crowded road to get that beach.


On that day, the beaches around Kuta were fully filled by thousands of people. The light from their torches looked like a shining spots on the beach from the hill where I stood. Those spots moved randomly as they walked, tried to catch some Nyales between the reefs with their circle-shaped net. Nyale is worm-like animal.  Sasaks catch this worm-like animal for eating. Some Sasak believe that eating Nyale can make them more beautiful. Based on the local legend, Nyale is believed as the avatar of Princess Mandalika—the beautiful princess who jumped into the sea in order to avoid the blood shaded war among princes and kings who fell in love with her. 

As the sun rose, I went down the hill. I found my self walk to the beach, between the colorful street vendors’ tent, against the directions where most people walked home. The beach was getting empty. I lifted up my trouser and carefully walked among the slippery rocks. I bent down many times as I saw red and green Nyale left, and then pushed the button of my camera. Nyale usually comes out around 3-5.30 a.m. if you want to experience this event make sure that you stay at the nearest hotel from the beach. Then, you can get there on foot instead of riding motorbike that will make you stuck in the dusty traffic jam.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Esai AAS: Kamu Melamar Apa atau Siapa?

Anatomi Essay Penerima Beasiswa CCIP

ESSAY REVIEW: Perempuan Penerima Tiga Beasiswa