SENDANG GILE & TIU KELEP

Photo by Daniel Hookins

It was quite cloudy when I drove to Senaru. Along the way I couldn’t clearly see the views around. It took me more than two and half hour to get there. The sky was still dark, the hour hand pointed to almost 12. My empty stomach couldn’t wait. I went to a forest front restaurant nearby which is part of Rinjani National park.  From this restaurant I could see the top of Sendang Gile Water Fall. I was absorbed with it. My empty stomach stopped rumbling. I sat quietly and felt the air touch my skin. A few minutes went by; a waiter in blue t-shirt came bring my fried rice. It was pretty tasty but I couldn’t finish it. I regained my energy easily.



I left my motorbike in the parking area of the restaurant and walked to the waterfall gate that stands next to the restaurant. A middle age man passed me a ticket entrance after I gave him IDR 10.000. I fumbled my bag and grabbed my mosquito repellent lotion. Put it some on my calves and arms. From the gate to the first water fall—Sendang Gile, I had to walk on a hundreds stairs down under the thousands shades of plantation. I could hear birds were chirping and twitting. After 15 minutes walk, a massive water fall cascades on the fully fern covered cliff was in front of me. Many people were bathing, swimming on the small pool where the water fall falls. Some were taking pictures and were sitting on the big stones. They looked very happy. I flashed my camera several times and then move to the second water fall.


The tract to the second water fall is fun and quite challenging. I had to cross a full rock river. This river is the stream of the water fall flow. I had to be more carefully in walking on this tract since there were some fallen trees that blocked the path. It took me around 20 minutes to get to this water fall. I could still feel the foam of the water fall from 10 meters away. I was amazed with its beauty. The fallen water looked totally white in its strong flow, pieced through the pool. This second water fall is famously known as Tiu Kelep. These two words are derived from Sasak in which Tiu means small pool and Kelep means fly. Its name fits its look. Tiu Kelep is about 40 m high. It is taller than Sendang Gile.


It would be better to visit these places in dry season and travel by private car or motorbike. Public transportation is not always available. Happy holiday !!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Esai AAS: Kamu Melamar Apa atau Siapa?

Anatomi Essay Penerima Beasiswa CCIP

ESSAY REVIEW: Perempuan Penerima Tiga Beasiswa