Meeting Maria Lourdes at Puh Sarang Curch


Some people were on their knees; they closed their eyes and locked their hands. I was wandering what they were praying for. I stood quietly behind them, enjoyed the beautiful figure craved in white shiny stones that they were worshipping for. That statue was about 6 meter high and was placed in a huge cave. In front of it, tens candles were burned for the symbol of hopes. I off my camera flash to keep the place quiet then took some snaps before continuing my walk to the next areas.


This church was built in 1931 which reveals the perfect fusion between Majapahit and European architecture. From the mountain, this church looks like a ship that describes the story of Noah and his passengers. P

leasantly the buildings are on the hill like and are separated to each other. This location has made this church more adventurous and interesting. Visitors need to walk around about 20 minutes to enjoy the whole sites of this church. In the first entrance stood old tower bell that face a statue of Maria Lourdes in a 10 m-less-tower. In the middle, a huge open hall under the dome is one of the main parts of the church. On the roof the cross shape made from fiber glasses to pass the light into this area adds the spiritual quality of this open hall.


As I walked to the east and keep following the path, there were many shops and sellers offered Christian statues, food and souvenirs. Puh Sarang is not only a church; it is also one of tourism favorite spots in Kediri. The visitors are not limited only to Christians. It widely opens for all religions or non Christians. This path led me the Maria Lourdes cave and a series of statues that told me the story of Jesus Christ journey to the crucifixion. They were painted in gold. When I walked on this part I can feel European atmosphere under tropical landscape.
   
Puh Sarang is about 10 km away from the heart of Kediri. It is located at Semen regency. Private car or motorbike is suggested to reach this place since public transportation is sometimes not available and unpredictable. I rented a bike for Rp.75.000/day as on the way I freely spoiled myself with the tropical landscape and stair shaped-paddy field. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Esai AAS: Kamu Melamar Apa atau Siapa?

Anatomi Essay Penerima Beasiswa CCIP

ESSAY REVIEW: Perempuan Penerima Tiga Beasiswa